Hideaki Suzuki is Head of Research & Consulting at Cushman & Wakefield Japan, providing clients with strategic research insights for their best decision making. His clients include multinational companies (MNCs) and institutional investors such as Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWFs) and REITs, conducting consulting works to validate their Japan real estate strategies. Hideaki also leads C&W APAC Forecasting Centre of Excellence, working together with local econometricians across Asia Pacific.
Prior to C&W, he was in charge of MSCI’s real estate services in Japan (previously known as IPD Japan), joining through the acquisition of IPD: Hideaki first worked at Investment Property Databank (IPD) London Head office, analyzing performance of unlisted real estate portfolios for institutional investors. Subsequently he led its Japan business, while covering Asian clients as a member of Asia Pacific Client Coverage. His career started as a real estate broker in Japan.
Hideaki holds a Doctorate Degree in Economics from Reitaku University Graduate School. His PhD thesis studied real estate's low liquidity in a dynamic asset allocation model for a multi-asset-class portfolio and received the Yuasa Prize for its contribution to the industry from Japan Association for Real Estate Sciences (JARES). He also holds a master’s degree in Real Estate Finance and Investment from Henley Business School at University of Reading.
He currently sits as the Vice-Chair of Research Roundtable at Asia Pacific Real Estate Association (APREA) since 2019. He also served as a Visiting Research Fellow at Reitaku University's Institute of Political Economics and Social Studies (RIPESS) between 2012 to 2018, also taught at Meikei University’s Real Estate Department in 2018. Member of JARES. Fellow Member of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Licensed Japanese Real Estate Agent. Certified Real Estate Consulting Master.
- Member of Urban Land Institute (ULI) – 2016 - present
- Academic Member of Japan Association for Real Estate Sciences (JARES), 2012 - present
- Fellow of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), 2012 - present
- Research Fellow at Reitaku Institute of Political Economics and Social Studies (RIPESS), 2012 - present
- Adjunct Lecturer at Meikai University’s Real Estate Department, 2018
- The Vice-Chair of Research Roundtable, at Asia Pacific Real Estate Association (APREA), 2019 - present
- Licensed Japanese Real Estate Agent
- Certified Master of Real Estate Consulting
- Certified Property Manager (inactive)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Economics, with focus of real estate portfolio selection, Reitaku University Graduate School of Economics and Business Administration, 2016 – PhD Dissertation: A Study on Long-Term Multi-Stage Portfolio Selection with Consideration for Illiquidity Risk of Real Estate.
- Master of Science in Real Estate Finance and Investment, Henley Business School at University of Reading, 2011
- Bachelor of Science in Real Estate, Meikai University, Department of Real Estate, Finance and Appraisal Course, 2009
Selected Market Publications
- Re-Shaping for Millennials and Inbound Tourists: Prime Retail Markets Across Japan, September 2018
- Changing Landscape of Prime Retail Markets Across Japan, September 2017
- Data Center Investment: Plugging Into Digital Investment Stream, August 2018
Selected Academic Publications
- Time Series Examination on Non-i. i. d. Process of Real Estate Returns, February 2016, Reitaku Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, double-blind peer review, Japanese written with his co-researcher
- Dynamic optimization of real estate investment in the long-term portfolio selection considering illiquidity risk, November 2015, Reitaku International Journal of Economic Studies, double-blind peer review, Japanese written with his co-researcher
- Dynamics of Diversification Benefits of Real Estate within Minimum-Variance Portfolio: the Case of Japan, November 2013, Japan Association for Real Estate Sciences, double-blind peer review, Japanese written with his co-researcher
Honor & Award
- The Yuasa Prize, Japan Association for Real Estate Sciences